TRIPAWDS: Home to 14805 Members and 1265 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » FACEBOOK » TWITTER » RANDOM BLOG

Tripawds Supporter sites have no ads!

For the Love of Daisy

From adoption to amputation – Daisy's story

A Celebration of Daisy’s Life

Filed under: Uncategorized — Daisy at 5:00 pm on Friday, July 16, 2010  Tagged , ,

Tripawds is a user-supported community. Thank you for your support!

Daisy deteriorated quickly after my post last Tuesday. She started having difficulty getting up, and even after I helped her get to a standing position, she had shortness of breath and was pretty unsteady on her legs. She also lost interest in my home-cooked meals that she had always devoured. However, she still smiled and wagged her tail, so I knew she wasn’t going to make the decision easy for me.

Knowing what lay ahead, we decided to give her the treats that she never had before. Last Wednesday, we went through the McDonald’s drive-thru and Daisy ordered chicken McNuggets and fries for herself, which she enjoyed immensely! Then we went to the DQ where she ordered a sundae with milk bones—yum! On Thursday she enjoyed yogurt, hot dogs, and extra large helpings of broccoli, which she loved. Spending time in the backyard was always one of her favorite things to do, too. Here we are with my son, Brian.

Enjoying the summer day with momma and Brian

This morning we called the vet and made the dreaded appointment for 1:30. To honor her life, we had dark cherry/chocolate ice cream and peanut butter cookies. She was delighted with my choice of food with which to celebrate!

Celebrating life with cookies and ice cream

We are grateful that we had time to love her and kiss her and reassure her that she was a very courageous girl who brought much joy to our lives for the past 22 months. Her passing was very peaceful. She lay stretched out on the examination table looking as if she were merely asleep. We can imagine her romping with other dogs who’ve gone before her. We take comfort in knowing that our timing was right, but the house sure is empty without her.

A kiss goodbye

To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!

17 Comments »

Carmen (Catie's Mom)

July 16, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

Oh, Daisy. Too sad, too sad. I am so so utterly sorry to read this. My heart goes out to you.

Sending hugs.

shelbysmom

July 16, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

Daisy, you have the face of an Angel. May you run fast, play hard at the Bridge where you’re forever young. And I wish your Mom and family healing and peace…..thank God we can give you beautiful creatures the gift of freedom from a tired body.

Godspeed Daisy….see you on the Other Side, labbie girl.

With a sad heart,
Pam & Shelby

Mackenzie's Mom

July 16, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

Oh this deeply saddens me to hear about Daisy. I am so sorry for your loss. I’m can’t stop the tears – I know how very painful this must have been to make this decision and to see your Daisy like this. She went in peace and that must be very comforting. My heart goes out to you and Daisy will be forever in your heart.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. My deepest condolences.
Kami

jerry

July 16, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

Daisy, your sweet face will forever be a part of our hearts. You fought like a warrior, and now, it’s time to play, run and romp with our Spirit Tripawd Heroes.

We are very, very sad to know that you had to say goodbye, but we know someday, we’ll see you again.

Lexi, our hearts go out to you and your family. It was a heartbreaking decision, we know, but you did right by your girl. Many hugs coming your way.

Thank you for being a part of this community and sharing Daisy’s journey with us.

Cherry

July 16, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

Like Daisy, Miss Cherry enjoyed her special cookies and Ice Cream to her very last days. Like you, I celebrate the life that touched me in more ways than I can ever count or even know. Daisy’s journey was far too short but was filled with extreme love in both directions.

hugapitbull

July 16, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

I am very sorry for your loss. Daisy is a beautiful soulful sweetheart. You were blessed to have her continue to share her life for 22 months. I know your heart breaks today, but hope the pain will soon be replaced by the loving memories that will remain with you forever.

Terry Conn

July 16, 2010 @ 10:06 pm

So sorry for your loss of Daisy today. Daisy had a wonderful life with you and your family. She was so lucky to have you in her life. You were a wonderful caregiver to that girl! 🙂 Know that she loved you for everything you did for her. She is in a better place, free of pain.
Our thoughts are with you guys.
The Conns

majorbubbatank

July 16, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

I’m so sorry. I bet the welcoming commitee at the Bridge was jealous that she crossed with peanut butter cups on her breath, though.

Rachel (Major’s mom)

Daisy

July 16, 2010 @ 10:24 pm

Oh . . . thanks much for the chuckle. I laughed out loud!

jakesmom

July 16, 2010 @ 10:33 pm

I’m so sorry sweetie… I know how hard it was to let her go… She will live forever in your heart and she is now running free at the Rainbow Bridge with all the other tripawds that have gone before her.

Sending you and your family a big loving hug… Rest in peace sweet Daisy!!!

Angel Jake and Wolfie’s Mom

cometdog

July 16, 2010 @ 11:01 pm

Dear Daisy’s Mom,

Daisy and I became instant friends when we met! We shared the same love for our mommies because we were shelter dogs and you guys rescued us! Plus, we are older lab girls! (Okay, I’m not 100%, but I have the labbie smile like Daisy!) I still have my mommy and she still has me. So, I’m so sad that you don’t have Daisy. I’m gonna miss her so much. She was a swell friend. My heart breaks.

But I’m so happy Daisy told you about the Peanut Butter Cookies! (PBC’s at my house) They are my favorite and I wanted to share mine with her! I thought I had time. I didn’t get the chance – everything happened so fast. But my heart sings that she told you about them and she got some!

When I first met Daisy Do, I sang her a little verse to a song but I didn’t get to sing all of it. I want to sing the entire song to you, Daisy’s mom because I didn’t get to with Daisy. I’ll always think of her when I hear the song for the rest of my life.

Until we meet again,
Comet

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
There is a flower
Within my heart,
Daisy, Daisy!
Planted one day
By a glancing dart,
Planted by Daisy Bell!
Whether she loves me
Or loves me not,
Sometimes it’s hard to tell;
Yet I am longing to share the lot –
Of beautiful Daisy Bell!

Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer true!
I’m half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won’t be a stylish marriage,
I can’t afford a carriage
But you’ll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two.

We will go ‘tandem’
As man and wife,
Daisy, Daisy!
‘Peddling’ away
Down the road of life,
I and my Daisy Bell!
When the road’s dark
We can both despise
P’licemen and ‘lamps’ as well;
There are ‘bright lights’
In the dazzling eyes
Of beautiful Daisy Bell!
Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer do!
I’m half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won’t be a stylish marriage,
I can’t afford a carriage
But you’ll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle made for two.

I will stand by you
In ‘wheel’ or woe,
Daisy, Daisy!
You’ll be the bell(e)
Which I’ll ring you know!
Sweet little Daisy Bell!
You’ll take the ‘lead’
In each ‘trip’ we take,
Then if I don’t do well,
I will permit you to
Use the brake,
My beautiful Daisy Bell! ♫ ♫ ♫

ldillon81

July 16, 2010 @ 11:11 pm

Thank you for sharing your story – the whole story and especially this post as I feel that I may be going through the same thing one day in the not too distant future. I admire your courage to make an appointment, as Im sure I will leave it to the last second and call the vet frantic that it needs to be done right away…I’m not very good at planning for the future 🙂 Daisy will always be a part of who you are, and with that, she will live with you forever. Thank you for loving Daisy, and for being the best mom to her she could ever ask for 🙂

<3 Laura

Karla Adams

July 17, 2010 @ 10:10 am

We are honored to know you. What beautiful work you do. So joyful for Daisy’s choice to enter your family and then to have you all to help her live and die gracefully. We send you peace. Karla

anyemery

July 18, 2010 @ 11:28 am

I’m so sorry to hear about Daisy. She was so lucky to have you, and you were so lucky to have her. She’ll be watching over you as she runs free at the Rainbow Bridge with all of our other tripawd heros. You’re in our hearts…
Hugs,
Holly, Zuzu and Susan

Chris Italiano

July 19, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

I offer you my deep condolences. I am so grateful to have met Daisy, and I am grateful that you all had each other. May you find joy in her memory and peace with each other.

maggie

July 20, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

I’m so sorry to read about Daisy’s passing. What a sweet, sweet girl. So glad she got to enjoy all the food choices she got!
Take care in the passing days without your girl, as you heal.

Tracy & Maggie

Ginger

July 31, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

Daisy’s family, we are just heartbroken to hear the sad news. She was such a sweet girl that brought smiles to our faces when we read about her. We just know that she was well received by those that have left before her.

Sending you golden hugs and prayers,
Ginger, Brian & Annie